Did you know that our skin is the largest organ in our body, and that it is just as complex as the heart, lungs and other vital organs?
Our skin can change with the seasons, our environment, the products we use and the food we eat.
The best way to ensure we take good care of our skin is to understand what makes it tick and what is happening beneath the surface, and that’s where understanding the needs of our specific skin type comes in handy.
We are all unique, our skincare needs will be different and getting the right balance takes a little time and research, which is where we come in. So sit back, relax, and let us tell you about all things ‘normal’ skin!
What is normal skin?
Our skin is constantly repairing and renewing itself. It produces sebum, a complex substance made up of natural chemicals, fatty acids and sugars which coat the skin and protects it against moisture loss and bacteria, among other things.
The category of ‘normal’ skin refers to healthy, balanced skin with good circulation and which produces enough sebum without clogging pores. If this is your skin type, then you'll notice that your skin retains its moisture and experiences relatively few imperfections.
What this means for you is that you have choices when it comes to the products you use, and can largely select based on preference over necessity.
Taking care of normal skin: the basics
Fantastic, you are starting with a nice, healthy canvas. This doesn’t mean however, that you get off scot-free. We all need to take care of our skin, no matter what type we have.
In an article for the New York Times, skin-care specialist Kristina Holey notes that “beauty routines are an opportunity to notice changes within yourself.” She explains that it is important to evolve with your changing needs and that in the end, “it’s not about creating perfection.”
There are some basic things we all need to do to take care of our skin which include:
- Staying hydrated
- Using sunscreen
- Cleansing your skin before bed
- Avoid sleeping in makeup
Taking the time to monitor your skin as it changes, and ensuring that these basic needs are met regardless of skin type will allow you to reap the best results from more specific skincare routines.
Taking care of normal skin: the specifics
For normal skin, we are primarily looking to protect and preserve healthy cells and not bring on any new problems. Here are some of our top tips:
- Opt for light products (such as plant based oils) for normal skin which will absorb easily and not clog pores.
- Don’t use too many products as you risk clogging pores and provoking breakouts. If you're using skin oils, look for products that are non comedogenic (this is a fancy term that means it won't clog your pores).
- Moisturize just after showering and before bed, and avoid using products with strong fragrances on your skin.
- Avoid touching your face; it can spread bacteria, cause scarring and result in irritation.
- Exfoliate 1-2 times per week to shift dead skin cells.
- Vitamins are excellent skin food and help damaged cells, so look for these in your products.
- Look for essential fatty acids which are key for healthy cell renewal and metabolism, and provide the foundations for healthy function skin.
- Look for products containing natural antioxidants which help protect your skin against free radicals that damage and stress skin cells.
- Consider switching to silk pillowcases; these are thought to not tug at skin as much as other fabrics, plus they lead to less hair breakage too.
As we learn about our skin and what it needs to function optimally, it is important to give it the time to react, say experts. And remember, the end goal is not perfection, but healthy skin that makes you not just look your best, but feel your best too.
The best natural oil for normal skin
If you're sitting here wondering how you can give your normal skin the nourishment it deserves, while keeping it 100% natural, then we have the perfect solution for you.
Our skin oil for normal skin is designed to help you best manage your broad needs using the best of Mother Nature. In our all-natural, all goodness white bottles, you’ll find:
- Jojoba oil to help maintain stable, natural sebum (oil) production levels.
- Argan oil which contains high levels of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant.
- Grape seed oil for support with restoring damaged and distressed cells.
- Sweet almond and hemp seed oils for their exceptional vitamin and mineral contents (among other things), which help to regulate moisture levels.
- Açaí berry oil which is known to help boost cell metabolism and renewal, reducing inflammation.
- East Cape mānuka oil for cleaning, healing and protecting the skin as well as East Cape kānuka oil for its exceptional antimicrobial properties.
- Sweet orange oil with its beautiful scent works to restore dry skin.
Feeding your skin natural ingredients to continue replenishing itself means that you get all the goodness with no nasties.